So let's talk sugar scrub because I spent over 3 decades not knowing how amazing this is! I know... kind of crazy, but maybe I'm not alone?
What is a sugar scrub?
A sugar scrub is a mix of sugar + an oil, with the option of adding essential oils.
The ratio is very much to your preference, some people preferring a creamier texture, and some preferring a grainer texture. I personally like it grainier, but experiment with small quantities until you find what suits you best.
Why make my own?
Store bought sugar scrubs cost about $16 a jar. Homemade scrubs will cost an average of $3 (even less) for a medium jar, without any nasty hidden chemicals! That is reason enough to make it! To give you a breakdown, this is the cost, using small jars, assuming dollar store and walmart purchases. That being said, my coconut oil is always cheaper cause I buy in bulk, and if you have jars (any container) at home you won't spend on that. Plus, you have this stuff at home already, right?
2 dollar store jars - $1.20 (pack of 5 for $3)
1/2 cup granulated sugar - $0.16 (2kg for $3.42)
2 T coc oil - $0.76 (444g for $12.47)
YL Lemon Essential oil - $0.48 (6 drops)
Why use a sugar scrub?
Ok, I'm not a science lingo person, but the 3 basic facts I've found about sugar and skin in my research are that
1. sugar is a natural humectant, which is a fancy word to say that sugar helps hydrate your skin and lock in moisture.
2. Sugar is a natural source of glycolic acid (again, just google it), and this encourages cell turnover, which makes your skin look fresher.
3. Sugar has tiny particles which make it a great exfoliant. It's gentler than salt scrubs because the particles are smaller and since it´s a humectant (and salt is not) it is more hydrating.
Ok, but how do you use it?
The beauty of sugar scrubs is that there is nothing difficult about it. Including usage!
1. Give it a stir if it's creamy
2. Apply on wet skin, quantity depending on usage. For hands and face I usually apply a quarter size amount, scrubbing VERY gently.
3. Rinse off
4. This is a great time to apply your favourite body butter or face cream
Finally, the recipe!
DIY sugar scrub
Ingredients and materials
1/2 cup sugar
2 T coconut oil
6 drops essential oil (lemon, lavender, orange, peppermint... you name it)
Mix all ingredients well.
Store in container.
*Not all essential oil types and/or brands are skin safe or kid safe, please do your research before adding.