Lip balm... I have a love hate relationship with them cause even though they are on the cheap side in general, it´s something that's going on my lips, which means that unintentionally I will probably eat some of it. Which is gross when you read the ingredients on that stuff. So... I started making my own.
The options for essential oils here are limitless... you can go for scent, taste, or therapeutic properties. I like the texture because it's creamy but not "wet", matted but not "dry". Safe for kids, and since the ingredients are the same as a moisturizer, you can slather it on cheeks in the winter to help the skin stay hydrated.
Here's how you do it:
Empty lip balm containers (this recipe makes 10-15)
1T shea butter
3T liquid oil* (I like jojoba oil for this)
10-20 drops essential oils** (I used Frankincense, Lavender, Tea Tree, Melrose & Peppermint, 5 drops of each)
- Set up a pot with water on the stove to act as a double boiler
- Grate the beeswax (it melts faster)
- In a glass jar, place beeswax, shea butter and carrier oil, place over boiling water and stir until all ingredients melt and combine.
- Remove from heat, add essential oils and mix well
- Using a dropper or funnel, fill containers and let sit until hardened.
*I like pure jojoba for skin related things, but grapeseed is also a favourite. I don't use olive oil because the smell is too overpowering for my taste, but it´s also a good option. Also, Young Living has a vegetable oil complex if you want.
**Not all essential oil types and/or brands are skin safe or kid safe, please do your research before adding.